HEALTH AND SOCIAL SERVICES:
The purpose of the Programme is to reduce the number of illnesses, deaths, and impact from diseases and public health emergencies by improving the quality of life of People Living with HIV and AIDS and other chronic illnesses, including vulnerable communities, through provision of Primary Health Care Services as well as First Aid training.
Health and Social Services Programme has three components; the first one is First Aid provision and training in all 10 Divisions of the LRCS in the 10 districts of Lesotho, the second component is Health Centers which are responsible for Primary Health Care services, they also serve as HTC centres and ART sites. The last component is Integrated Community Home-Based which includes OVC and WATSAN.
HIV AND AIDS
· LRCS Health and Social Services Programme through its HIV and AIDS component is implementing an Integrated Home based care and Food Security project in five project areas in Maseru (OVC support only) Mafeteng, Kena, Quthing , Thaba-Tseka and Mapholaneng.
· LRCS has developed HIV and AIDS strategy 2011 – 2014, which directs its programming. The strategy also goes in line with Lesotho Red Cross strategic plan 2010-2012, which will be reviewed in 2012.
· The programme was implemented to support PLHIV and other chronic illnesses and embarked on Prevention activities, stigma and discrimination as well as capacitating LRCS volunteers and staff.
· LRCS managed to achieve its plans through collaborating with local stakeholders, mainly Ministry of Health and Social Welfare and with financial support from Partner National Societies.
· Our partners: The programme is currently supported by British Red Cross Society, Norwegian Red Cross Society, Ministry of Health and Social Welfare and National AIDS Commission
To Prevent Further HIV infection in the communities by:
· Peer education and community mobilization on issues pertaining to HIV, STIs, TB, common illnesses, and the use of VCT, PMTCT, and ART services
· Promoting the Prevention of Mother to Child Transmission (PMTCT)
· Promoting skills for personal protection, including condom use.
To scale-up Treatment, Care and Support for clients and OVCs by:
· Provide psychosocial, educational, material and access to health assistance to children and orphans (OVC) made vulnerable by HIV and AIDS
· Providing home-based care, treatment and support care (HBC) for people living with HIV and AIDS.
· Promoting community support groups and networks.
· Promoting livelihood and food support for the most vulnerable communities using the food security operational strategy.
· Improving LRCS health centres buildings/structures to accommodate ART services
To Reduce Stigma and Discrimination amongst the vulnerable communities by:
· Promoting community support groups and networks of people living with HIV, and partnerships with PLHIV organisations.
· Operationalise HIV and Workplace policy for all staff and volunteers;
· Advocate against gender inequalities, sexual and gender based violence.
To strengthen LRCS First Aid service provision
· Promote and market commercial First Aid to business communities
· Provide First Aid awareness and training to the general public.
· Promote blood donor recruitment culture among the youth Population.
· Ensure that first aid is provided accordingly in the national transport policy
To provide high quality health care and reproductive health services in the LRCS clinics.
· Ensure that adequate drugs, vaccine and medical supplies are provided
· Ensure that there is provision of comprehensive health care and reproductive health services;
· Provision of training to service providers and support staff
· To promote the quality of health among the vulnerable communities in the NS
· Develop basic infrastructure for clean water supply and sanitation
To promote and produce IEC in the Health and Care department
· Information, education and communication (IEC) for vulnerable groups for prevention of HIV infection;
· Improve information, education and communication for the reduction of stigma and discrimination in the communities;
· Provide IEC materials for ante natal and others associated with pregnancy’s and HIV and AIDS
· Provide health education among communities with regard to proper water sanitation