WHO WE ARE:
HISTORY OF LESOTHO RED CROSS SOCIETY (LRCS)
. Red Cross activities in Lesotho began in 1949 as the Basutoland branch of the British Red Cross Society.
. The then activities of the Society comprised mainly of health clinic operations, to support government’s health programmes.
. A few volunteers did relief work on an ad hoc basis. When Lesotho becam independent on October 4 1966, steps were taken to form a National Society in the country.
. Initially a branch of the British Red Cross, the Lesotho Red Cross Society was established on November 9 1967 by an Act of Parliament number 31 as a voluntary aid Society auxiliary to health authorities.
. Its Constitution is based on the Geneva Conventions to which Lesotho is party and on the Fundamental Principles.
. The Society was recognised by the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and on September 7th1971 and the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies on October 7th 1971.
. ts headquarters is located in Maseru; the capital town of Lesotho and it has a Divisions in each of the country’s ten districts.
1. Justice M.P Mofokeng 1980-1985 2.Dr ‘Musi Mokete 1985-1999
3. Dr Mohlalefi Moteane 1999-2001 4. Mrs ’Makabeloa Mosothoane 2003-2013